Monday, July 28, 2008

The adventures of Monday, July 28.

Okay, so for the record, I know our speaker's name.
JOHN GULLEY.
Perhaps it was Tulley. Whatever, but I know it's close!
This is my defense for missing the train on Friday's blog. Sorry!

This morning was very illuminating. I thought John was very charming, thanks to his southern drawl and occasional pottymouth. His little history lesson was intensely interesting, and I like the idea that as a group, we theatre people can trace through a sort of family tree to where the ideas we practice today come from. I never having done Meisner (Miesner?) before, spent the majority of lesson leaning comfortably in my chair and observing. When John first started the repetition exercises, I pretty much thought it was a load of bull. I searched endlessly for the point of the exercise, and didn't find it until Micheal and Suzanna did their scene for a second time, after having done the whole repetition thing. It improved so much! It was strangely thrilling and certainly affected more than nearly any other acting class I've attended. Obviously, as per the point of the repitition, the scene became more honest. This, of course, made it better. I began to think about how I would have performed the part, and realized that my performance would have been shockingly fake. This was not a happy realization. I certainly plan on approaching any scenes I might perform in the future from this standpoint.

As for rehearsal, I feel like everything went beautifully! I loved shoving cookies down my throat, haha. I love my scene with Orlando, and I think as I work on my bit with Rosalind, it will get better.
I can't wait to see you all tomorrow!
<3333
Madison

No comments: